Your Gateway to Great Dental Care
Experience the Difference at Southcoast Dental
Laser Frenectomy in Wareham, MA
Tongue ties and lip ties can pose challenges for both children and adults, impacting various aspects of oral function and overall well-being. At Southcoast Dental, we understand the significance of addressing these concerns effectively. We offer state-of-the-art laser frenectomy services to help individuals overcome these issues and enjoy improved oral health.
What is a Tongue Tie or Lip Tie?
- Tongue Tie (Ankyloglossia): Tongue tie is a congenital condition that occurs when the thin strip of tissue beneath the tongue, known as the lingual frenulum, is shorter than usual. This anomaly restricts the normal range of motion of the tongue. While some degree of lingual frenulum attachment is normal and necessary, in cases of tongue tie, this attachment is unusually tight or extends too far towards the tip of the tongue.
- Lip Tie (Labial Frenulum): Lip tie involves a similar condition where the strip of tissue connecting the upper lip to the gums, known as the labial frenulum, is overly tight or restricts movement. This can affect the flexibility and movement of the upper lip.
What is a Frenectomy?
A frenectomy is a surgical procedure designed to address and correct the issues associated with tongue ties and lip ties. It is typically recommended when a tongue tie or lip tie is causing complications such as breastfeeding difficulties, speech impediments, oral hygiene challenges, discomfort, or orthodontic concerns. Addressing the restrictive tissue aims to restore overall oral function, comfort, and quality of life.
Advances in dental technology have introduced a more precise and less invasive approach—the LANAP (Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure) laser frenectomy. Laser technology enables precise and controlled tissue removal, minimizing the risk of injury to surrounding tissues and causing less trauma, pain, and bleeding during and after the procedure. Patients typically experience a faster and more comfortable recovery with LANAP laser frenectomy compared to traditional methods.
Benefits of a Frenectomy
Improved Oral Function
For infants, children, and adults with tongue ties or lip ties, these conditions can create various challenges. Children who struggle with articulation and speech due to tongue or lip ties often experience noticeable improvement after a frenectomy. Infants with tongue ties may struggle with breastfeeding, bottle-feeding, or transitioning to solid foods. A frenectomy addresses these concerns by allowing for a wider range of motion in the tongue and upper lip.
Enhanced Quality of Life
Beyond addressing functional challenges, a frenectomy can significantly enhance the overall quality of life for both children and adults. The newfound freedom of movement and improved oral function can increase comfort and confidence. Improved oral function can make everyday activities such as eating, speaking, and maintaining oral hygiene more enjoyable and effortless.
Potential Impact on Breastfeeding
For infants with tongue ties or lip ties, breastfeeding challenges can be distressing for both the baby and the mother. A frenectomy allows infants to achieve a better latch during breastfeeding, resulting in more efficient milk transfer. This can alleviate the pain and frustration experienced by nursing mothers.
Minimally Invasive and Quick Procedure
Frenectomy procedures are typically quick and cause minimal discomfort. Patients often experience a swift recovery, making the process much more manageable for both children and adults.
Post Crown Lengthening Recovery and Maintenance
- Healing Process: Immediately after the procedure, it is normal to experience some discomfort, swelling, and mild bleeding. You may also notice sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures. These symptoms typically subside within a few days.
- Medication and Pain Management: The dentist may prescribe pain medication or recommend over-the-counter pain relievers to manage post-operative discomfort. Follow the instructions provided and take medication as directed.
- Oral Hygiene: Good oral hygiene is crucial during the recovery period. Gently brush your teeth, taking care to avoid the surgical site. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste recommended by your dentist.
- Rinse with Saltwater: Starting the day after the procedure, rinse your mouth with warm saltwater several times a day. This helps keep the surgical site clean and promotes healing.
- Follow-up Appointments: Regular follow-up appointments are crucial for monitoring your healing progress and ensuring optimal results. Our dental team will schedule these appointments to remove sutures if necessary, assess your oral health, and provide further guidance on maintaining your oral hygiene.
Tongue Tie and Lip Tie Surgery in Wareham, MA
If you are considering a frenectomy or have questions about the procedure, we invite you to schedule an appointment at Southcoast Dental in Wareham, MA. We specialize in laser frenectomy procedures that offer a minimally invasive and effective solution to improve oral function. Dr. Kiehl and our team are ready to provide you with a customized treatment plan to guide you through the process.